After a tooth extraction
Steps to follow
To speed up the healing process, please follow the steps suggested below. Please keep in mind, however, that it is quite normal to feel some discomfort from a swollen lower face after a tooth extraction.
Day of surgery
- Keep the pads in the mouth for 15 to 20 minutes, while maintaining firm pressure, and replace them every half hour as needed.
- Keep the head in an upright position at all times.
- Apply ice to the cheek at regular intervals (20 minutes of cold per hour).
- If bleeding occurs, use a lightly moistened gauze or tea bag and bite down for about 20 minutes.
- Many patients have blood flow and notice a reddish colour in their saliva.
- Limit physical effort.
To be avoided
- Remove the blood clot as it serves to optimise healing.
- Eat before the bleeding stops.
- Drink through a straw.
- Rinse your mouth or spit.
- Smoking or drinking alcohol.
- Eating food that is difficult to chew.
Take the medication prescribed to you, if necessary. Take the antibiotics you have been given for this treatment for the specified number of days, even if you have no symptoms.
Suggested power supply
On the day of the extraction, eat only soft foods or warm beverages. When you feel better, you can resume eating normally.
From the next day until full recovery
- Rinse your mouth three times a day with warm water and salt (2 ml or 1/2 teaspoon of salt in 250 ml or 1 cup of water).
- Brush and floss daily to remove plaque and promote better long-term results.
- Avoid eating hard foods (nuts, sweets, ice cubes)
- Some words may be harder to say and your saliva may be more abundant than usual. Everything will return to normal within a week.
- Bruises may appear on your face. This will disappear after five to seven days.
- Some people find it difficult to open their mouths for up to five days after the extraction.
If after three days the pain increases instead of decreasing, do not hesitate to call us.
Don’t worry, you will probably feel better after a few days and be able to resume your normal activities. In case of pain, heavy bleeding, swelling for 2-3 days or reaction to the prescribed medication, please contact us without delay at 450-667-2211.